Thursday, November 22, 2012

What comes after "G"

I started writing a little less than ten years ago with the intent of helping people grow in faith.  I started my other blog (4G) for that purpose. As a pastor, that's what I do on a daily basis. I have served as a staff pastor for new members and I have pastored a church plant in an urban center.  Thus, my ministry has always been focused on winning people to the kingdom and growing them up in the faith. With this type of ministry focus I am always asking how we can better serve and reach people. However, it begs many related questions like, who are we not reaching? Why aren't we reaching them? How do we reach them? What comes after "G"?

As a Seventh-day Adventist (SDA) pastor in particular, these questions shed revealing light on who we are why we do what we do (as a denomination). Without going into too much detail I'll just simply say that though our denomination has historically had a consistent presence in the inner-city, we have been absentee fathers or distant uncles at best, yet far from nurturing mothers.  In other words, you can always find an SDA church in the inner-city, but SDA ministries with a rich legacy of strategic, incarnational, service to specific people groups in inner-city are few and far between.

As an african-american male, raised in an impoverished community during the golden age of hip-hop, I love the hood and I love hip-hop. Nevertheless, I love the Lord and I love His church. While I have committed my life to serving His church, I am also thoroughly committed to serving His children who were raised in an environment that was divorced from (or at least abandoned by) the church.

This blog is dedicated to celebrating the virtues of hip-hop.  I will also be careful to critique hip-hop from a biblical and theological point of view. Believe it or not, there are numerous biblical and theological themes that resonate deeply with hip-hop culture. I intend to explore those parallels and offer ideas and insight as to how hip-hop and hip-hoppers might continue to grow into closer correlation with the character of God, while remaining authentically hip-hop.

So let's get it! Let's explore an authentic and refreshing balance between hip-hop and holiness. Truth is, many hip-hoppers were raised in a hostile environment. Yet, hip-hop helped them make meaning and cope with their surroundings. Nevertheless, the power of God does what no earthly power can to transform a life. I am motivated to pursue that life...the life that was forged in the fires of adversity and challenge, nurtured by culture, and then redeemed and renewed by a loving God.  Fact is...that life is my own.  I hope you're enjoying 4G. Welcome to 4H.

No comments:

Post a Comment