Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Hip-Hop Duplicity Complex

Many fans and listeners are confused by the
messages coming through their earphones.
DISCLAIMER: For those of you who have been reading and following these posts, there's no way anyone can say that I'm not a true lover of Hip-Hop. If you're not convinced, just go back and read my previous posts. But as I promised in my first post, I do intend to critique and challenge Hip-Hop to higher heights. So with that said, there's this:

I had a young lady ask me yesterday if it's okay (or sinful) to listen to music by secular artists that have a positive message. Good question. Age-old, brain-stumping question. The answer (in my opinion) is simply a yes. However, that yes is with a few reservations. I have a hard time following an artist with duplicitous messages in their music. In other words, you can't be singing "feed the children, help the children" and then on the very next track be rappin about "kill em all" because that by default includes the little children that you just finished feeding. And this is something that is a very significant matter in Hip-Hop. For example:




Lil Wayne (Young Money)
Every Girl in the World


This is one of my all-time favorite examples of recklessness in Hip-Hop. The song speaks for itself. No need for commentary.









Lil Wayne
How to Love

So then all of a sudden Weezy got all sentimental on us and decided to talk about insecurity and character and true love. Truth is, it's a powerful song, it's just a hard message to take from a guy who we just heard rapping about mindless promiscuity.





Kendrick Lamar
Keisha's Song (Her Pain)

Let me first say that I think Kendrick Lamar is a deep and insightful dude. This song in particular is a really thoughtful look into the inner-life of a prostitute. I have other thoughts about songs by men on the inner-lives of women; nevertheless, this one revisits some powerful and important concepts. Young girls should hear it.





Kendrick Lamar
Swimming Pools (Drank)

Earlier, I mentioned the young lady who asked me the question about music. I pulled this video because she brought up this song as an example of Kendrick Lamar's music that troubles her. Hip-Hop prides itself on not being preachy, but it is. This song is a perfect example. The simplistic repitition of the hook not only illustrates the sickening cycle of alcoholism, but leaves the listener with one heck of a head-ringing takeaway. He seems to suggest that he's convinced that it's reckless, but he relents to "Pour up - Drank." But I guess that's life right? SMH!


Kanye West
Jesus Walks

There is no way you thought I was gonna talk about duplicity in Hip-Hop without talking about this song. No way! Just admit it, after you heard this song for the first time you really wondered whether this dude Kanye West was actually a Christian. I know I did...well at least it made me give more of his music a listen. Truth is, the song is honest and deep. I feel him on this.





Kanye West
Power

Braggadocio in Hip-Hop is nothing new. It's as old as the art form itself. Rappers been braggin since rappers been rappin. But this is different. I really get the sense that in this song Yeezy's actually sayin "'F' all y'all." I must add though, I like Kanye. I think he handles some weighty concepts at times. But here, he's really talkin reckless.






I guess one of the issues in Hip-Hop is that it refuses to be white-washed. It's gritty, and grimy and it refuses to be hypocritical. However, if I'm praying for Jesus to walk with me, then I'd think that laying tracks like "Power" would be difficult to mix and press. Let's face it, there is a consistent inconsistency in Hip-Hop that confuses even the most faithful fans. If we're going to talk about the tensions of hood life, fame, and trying to make it in the world then let's do it in an authentic, consistent, thoughtful, and honorable way, rather than this sort of lyrical shock treatment that happens in rap.

No comments:

Post a Comment